THREE WAYS YOU CAN HELP
A healthy breakfast is not only a great way to start the day! A 2012 study of 6000 students by the Toronto District School Board found "numerous benefits result from eating morning meals, such as:
- improved student behaviour or attitude
- reduced tardiness
- reduced incidence of disciplinary problems
- improved ability to stay on task"
West Park Elementary continues to provide a morning breakfast program. Students are allowed to enter the school each morning at 8:35 a.m. for breakfast. All students are welcome to partake in the breakfast items offered which may include, but are not limited to: toast and jam, porridge, fruit, eggs, yogurt, cereal, milk, smoothies and more!
Food contributions can be made to our breakfast program at any time.
- strawberry jam without chunks
- cheese spread (like Cheese Whiz)
- margarine / butter
- powdered milk
- powdered hot chocolate
- pancake mix (just add water type)
- pancake syrup
- frozen fruit (except papaya)
- any pure fruit juice
- brown sugar
- quick oats
- any fresh fruit
- plastic spoons
- small styrofoam cups
- large foil roasting pans
Our breakfast program could not run without donations from our parent and business community. If you or your business would like to make a one-time or a regular series of donations, please contact the school office. There are many creative ways that businesses have supported breakfast programs:
- to participate in jeans or casual Friday, employees must bring an item (box of cereal, oatmeal, loaf of break) or cash to be donated
- employees challenge their employer to meet or beat their donation (some employers do this as a matter of course
- ask each employee to contribute a cash amount or breakfast item at regular staff meetings
- some businesses and individuals simply write a cheque for the tax benefit
Our breakfast program is currently run by one staff member, Mrs. Karen Webster, who is an educational assistant at our school. We know she would gladly accept help from parents or grandparents who have a half-hour to one hour in the morning on any day of the week. Volunteer work involves simple preparation of food items and serving them to the children. If you enjoy chatting with children and seeing their smiling faces by filling their tummies before sending them off to a day of learning, this may be the opportunity for YOU! It is easy and rewarding work which has a great impact on the lives of our kids!
If you are interested in donating to or volunteering at our Breakfast Program, please contact the school office.
Thank you for your consideration of the West Park Elementary Breakfast Program!